To familiarise practitioners with Trafford’s approach to teaching phonics and to enable practitioners to confidently deliver the 7 Aspects of Phase 1 of the 'Letters and Sounds’ Phonics Programme in their setting
This course includes an overview of the Rose Report and the key findings that led to the development of the Letters and Sounds Phonics Teaching Programme. It works through each of the 7 Aspects of Phase 1, offering opportunities for practitioners to engage in some of the activities along the way. Practitioners will have the opportunity to watch video clips of children engaged in some Phase 1 activities and they will be asked to reflect on and respond to these. This course makes reference to opportunities for practitioner to work outdoors in the natural world.
Please note: You must have attended Phase 1 training in the last 18 months to attend Phase 2 Letters and Sounds in May 2020
By the end of this course practitioners will:
- Have developed an understanding of the principles of early reading and the important role that children’s speaking and listening skills hold within this
- Have increased knowledge of phonics and the related terminology
- Be able to recognise when children are ready for Phase 1 and when they are ready to move on to Phase 2
- Understand the 7 aspects of Phase 1 the ‘Letters and Sounds’ programme and know how to use the materials within it
- Be able to confidently deliver engaging activities that cover each of the 7 Aspects and assess children’s responses at each stage
Please note, you will be charged 100% of the course cost seven days before the course start date
Free parking is available onsite - PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT PARK IN THE FIRST CAR PARK ON THE RIGHT AS THE BARRIERS WILL BE LOCKED AT 7PM. PLEASE USE ALTERNATIVE PARKING WHICH IS SIGNPOSTED WITHIN CARRINGTON BUSINESS PARK. Refreshments will be provided.
All EYFS and Play Practitioners